Monday, November 3, 2008

The Comparison Game

In day 2 of Chapter 6 Shelly lists things she's envious about. She even talks about Envy's favorite sport - the Comparison Game. While comparing can lead to self doubt, self-pity, and encouraging one to focus on their own life, I believe the comparison game can also lead you to a place of contentment. To explain, here are a few things I struggle with.


1. Our truck. We have an old 94 Ford Ranger. She's not the prettiest to look at, she smells horrible, and she's quite awkward to drive. I would love to trade her in for a newer model. I see lots of other cars that would be less frustrating to drive, why can't we have one? Clearly...struggling with contentment here.

2. I love gardens. I would love to have a beautifully landscaped area in front of our house. It would be great if we could get it all done in one weekend - just go out and buy everything at once. It would also be nice to have thick grass. Oh, I can definitely have yard envy sometimes.

3. Clothes. I do love clothes. I'm not obsessed with them, but I think it's fun to dress up - have a nice outfit on. Oh - and the perfect shoes to go with each outfit.


So how does the Comparison Game help with my envy? When I think about our Ford Ranger - I am reminded of how many people would just love to have a car to help them get around...especially if you live in a city that does not have a user friendly public transportation system. I am reminded that I should be thankful that we have a truck that works, that we can afford to buy gas, and that we have a truck that is completely paid for...no money owed.


When I think of landscaping. I think of those that would love to have a yard. There are many that dream of having a yard, but for whatever reason, don't have one right now. And I could spend money we don't have to put flowers and bushes in our yard. I could spend money to add chemicals to make our grass thick and green. But then I compare how I want to spend the money God has in trusted me with. Maybe it might be better if I take time to gather bulbs, seeds, saplings over the months and years so I can use some of the other money to help those that need food. Hungry people don't care how thick or what shade of green their grass is.


Clothing. It doesn't take me long to snap out of this one. I have images in my mind from visiting Africa and Haiti that help me to be thankful for the clothes that I have. I have images of children running, playing - laughing even...they had no clothing what so ever. If someone can run, laugh, and play and they struggle to get the basic food, clothing, and shelter...maybe I need to recheck myself.


The one thing you must be careful of in this comparison game is to NOT think of yourself better than anyone else. You just need to realize your envy struggles, in the grand scheme of things, really don't matter. At least that's what it's come to for me. Let's just tell God what we ARE thankful for!



No comments: