Monday, November 17, 2008

Quitters

To not be a quitter - this is what I struggle with the most. If my job gets tedious, boring, or I feel like I'm working alone, I have the temptation to quit. When my husband and I fight - aren't seeing eye to eye on things - or we're having dull moments, I have the temptation to quit. When I'm not included in plans my friends are making, or if friendships get ugly, I have the temptation to quit. Bottom line, when things get hard, I have the temptation to quit.

Why? I'm not sure, maybe it's partly due to the way I'm chemically wired. Maybe it's due to the fact I like to take what seems to be easy way out. Maybe I'm too lazy or not disciplined enough. Whatever the reason - it's a daily fight.

I do not want to be a quitter, so I've had to find a way to fight off my temptation. I have found the key to not quitting, is knowing you have someone in your corner - cheering for you. I have a story to illustrate my point.

My husband and I go rock climbing together occasionally. He goes much more often than I do...mainly due to my fear of heights. But I go because I want to overcome my fear - I want to look it in the face and spit on it. Maybe that 's a little dramatic, but you get the point. I also like the opportunity for us to do things together, and I LOVE being outside.
Sometimes when I climb I get about 20 feet up the rock and I freak out. When I say I freak out, I mean I freeze. I can't move. I look down and I get freaked out. I can't climb any further and I'm ready to come down.
Usually once I'm at this point I stop and look down at my husband and tell him I'm done. I'm ready to quit. I've had my fill of climbing - I'm ready to take the easy way out - the safe way out. You see I know by quitting nothing bad will happen. I'll just be lowered on the rope and my feet will once again be on the ground. But my husband responds to my announcement, no your not.
He just told me I'm not done! After I clearly told him I was. I say it again, a little louder, just in case he didn't hear me. I'm done. I'm done climbing. I'm ready to come down.
Once again he tells me, no your not. Look up - you are almost to the top. I've got you - you're not going to fall. You can do this.
No, I'm done.
No look. Look to your right, there's a solid hold right there. Reach up with your right hand and grab hold of it. Use your feet to push up.
Nope. I'm done.
Look at the hold. You can do this.
Despite the fact that I'm really mad at this point, I look up see the hold. I tell myself, that one hold doesn't look so bad. I can do that one hold, but then I'm done. I move. I make it. I'm further up the cliff.
I announce again, I'm done.
No you're not he responds. Boy he really knows how to make me mad!
Look again. You're almost there. Look to your left. Look at your knee, there's a good spot for you to put your foot by your knee. Begrudgingly I make another move.
This continues for awhile, but he's patient with me. Eventually I make it up to the top. I did it! I beat the climb, and now the hardest part, I have to let go of the rock so i can be lowered down.
I make another announcement. I quit. I'm just going to stay up here. I don't think I can let go.
You can. Trust me. Trust the rope. Sit back and let go.
Nope, I'm done. I'm just going to stay up here.
You can't. you have to come down. Let go.
Eventually I muster enough courage to let go. He lowers me down and then celebrates with me for finishing the climb. I didn't so much spit in the face of fear, but at least I faced it.

It's harder to quit when you have someone in your corner who won't let you. It's worth taking risks to find friends that will be there to challenge you. It's also worth reading scripture everyday - to memorize it. This helps you remember that God is also in your corner - and if God if for you, who can be against you?




No comments: