Thursday, November 6, 2008

JOY

“Spiritual joy is: The settled conviction that God sovereignly controls the events of life for the believers’ good and His glory. Spiritual joy is not an attitude dependent on chance or circumstance. It is the deep and abiding confidence that regardless of one’s circumstances in life, all is well between the believer and the Lord. No matter what difficulty, pain, disappointment, failure, rejection, or other challenge one is facing, genuine joy remains because of that eternal well being established by God’s grace in salvation. Thus, Scripture makes it clear that the fullest, most lasting and satisfying joy is derived from a true relationship with God. It is not based on circumstances or chance, but is the gracious and permanent possession of every child of God.” John MacArthur

When I was at one of the lowest points of my life, God spoke to my heart and gave me the following poem.

Joy Is…

A complete certainty you are loved.
A bubbling brook in your soul.
A satisfied smile in your heart.
A permanent presence in your life.

Joy is not…

A practically perfect life.
A totally trouble free existence.
A lovely life of ease.
A conditionally controlled emotion.

Joy is…

A lavish love from the Father.
A perfect peace because of the Son.
A constant companion because of the Spirit.
A gracious gift from the Trinity.

Joy is Love.
Joy is Peace.
Joy is Life.
Joy is Jesus.

“I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
John 15:11(NIV)

Whenever I find myself being bogged down by the drudgery of everyday life, I allow the words of this poem to remind me of the true joy I have as a child of God. I am reminded of the awesome privilege of spending each day in His presence doing what He calls me to do. What about you? Is your joy in the Lord? If not, I urge you to unwrap this precious jewel of joy.

“Father, thank You for blessing Your children with the gift of joy. Help each of us to accept this gift and to allow Your joy to color every aspect of our lives. In Jesus’ Precious Name, Amen.

© 2004 by Ginny Holcombe. All rights reserved.

No comments: