Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Flip Side of Patience

Impatience. Just the mention of the word can send me into a frenzy some times. Impatience, the word makes me want to take off like Roadrunner. If ever I hear, "You should be more patient" I take a couple of deep breaths, pray, and remember understanding is the key to Patience. For me to be patient I have to dig down deep, focus on the person, problem, or task at hand. I say a prayer, God help me to understand what's going on here. God give me insight. Help me to surrender everything to you. Then I can relax, and then I am better prepared to live in Patience.

I've mentioned before that music helps me to focus - so does it surprise you that I have a song to help me fight my impatience? Who better to help me practice patience, than Axel Rose, and his wise words from Guns-n-Roses song, Patience.

"Said woman take it slow it'll work itself out fine. All we need is just a little patience. Said sugar make it slow and we'll come together fine. All we need is just a little patience."

Take it slow. Relax. Let it go. I think too many times, when people are impatient, they haven't taken the time to place themselves in another persons shoes. One practice I gleaned from acting is the practice of walking in anothers shoes. In acting it's important to take the time to see where other people are coming from. You can't become a character if you don't research to see what makes them who they are. You can't become a character by thinking you are better than the person you are portraying.

So in real life, taking time to understand others, I think makes it easier to have patience with a person or situation. This does not mean you have to agree with what they do, their beliefs, or how they live and construct their daily life...but it helps you to understand. Understanding helps you to put things in a different perspective, and also helps fight impatience.

"Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love." ephesians 4:2

"I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience." 1 Timothy 1:16

No comments: