Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stress: Trying to be a Martha When You’re a Mary

For most of my adult life, I was made to feel like I was lazy. I had to be “busy” every waking moment. If I sat down to read, watch TV, or just to sit I was wasting time. I didn’t dare spend a quiet day in my robe and pj’s. When I was a child one of the good things about being sick was lying on the couch and having Mom take care of me. However, as an adult, if I wasn’t sick enough to stay in bed, I was well enough to work. Working was the most important thing in life. I wondered what was wrong with me. My life was filled with the stress of trying to be what I wasn’t. Instead of my self-control allowing myself to be the person God created me to be, I allowed another person to control me.

In the five years since my divorce, God has used many resources to show me that I am not lazy. The following scripture passage became God’s personal message to me as I rediscovered the Ginny He created.

38-40As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand."

41-42The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her." Luke 10: 38-42, MSG.

I am not a Martha. I have some Martha’s in my life and I am very thankful for them. We need Martha’s in our world. I do enjoy the events Martha’s create. I welcome people into my home but I am not a Martha Stewart hostess. I don’t always think to offer people something to drink but I have no problem with them helping themselves. I don’t enjoy fixing a formal meal or setting a fancy table. I do enjoy sharing a meal from Panera Bread or a having a pizza delivered.

I am a Mary. I love to sit at the feet of Jesus and worship. I love to meet friends at a restaurant and talk about what God is doing in our lives. I love to share with anyone who will listen all that God has done for and in me. I am decluttering my life of things that tie me down or take time I would rather spend in other ways. I do work. And I do experience stress. Life is stressful! When I do feel stressed, I whisper a prayer and God always hears. The cause of the stress may not disappear but I always sense God’s calming presence. And now I let myself be me. I have learned to say no. I don’t commit to things because someone thinks I should. I am discovering my passions and focusing on them.

What about you? Who or what controls your life? Whether you are a Martha or a Mary or a little of both, allow your self-control to keep your eyes and heart tuned to Jesus so that when you do experience life’s stress, His presence will calm you. When you do this, much of the stress you feel will disappear. Jesus does care.

No comments: