Friday, October 24, 2008

Steps to Self Control

Self-control. For many, being impulsive can be a positive if we do it for the right reasons. Being impulsive by going the extra mile by helping a friend in need or supporting a cause we think worthy of our attention. Impulsive actions can also be negative if we use our impulsiveness to inflict hurt or pain. That is where we must be brave and exercise self-control. Hurtful words can never be taken back and it is up to us to overcome and conquer our desires against negative impulse.

As our prayer focus for greater self-control, pray that God will give you the power to control your words and actions. Seek his word on topics of self control. Both the books of Galatians and Corinthians have ways to practice our own self discipline.

Action Steps: Developing Self-Control Over My Mouth

- I will give a blessing.
- I will stop and think.
- I will stop gossiping.
- I will be gentle.
- I will be thankful.
- I will guard my mind.
- I will work on developing control over my mouth by .

Action Steps: Developing Self-Discipline

- I will start exercising.
- I will eat a balanced diet.
- I will take a Sabbath.
- I will be punctual.
- I will stop procrastinating.
- I will work on developing self-discipline by .

Action Steps: Developing Good Habits

- I will keep a journal.
- I will find a mentor.
- I will worship.
- I will have a daily mini-Sabbath.
- I will find an accountability partner.
- I will work on developing good habits by .

Self-Control Prayer


Precious Lord,
I’m not doing so well with my self-control. It seems like every time I turn around, I’m “blowing it” again. When I lose control, sin is evident or close on its heels. Help me pay special attention to the action steps I marked, concentrating on them not only this week for homework, but for a lifetime. Hear my request. Send me an accountability partner who will check in with me regularly for prayer and discussion about how I am doing. I need an extra measure of grace to help me implement this character trait into my life, and I am grateful you have already made that deposit in my spiritual bank account. Thank you.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: